In cooperation with VAN Magazine, we are looking for musicians who create cathartic, disturbing, potent, hilarious, revolutionary, enigmatic, raw and unforgettable experiences.
For the inaugural edition of the Berlin Prize for Young Artists, we are looking for classical musicians with a unique voice. The focus goes beyond the search for musicians who are technically brilliant in standard repertoire. Together, we are looking to support artists of exceptional musicianship and vision.
What you can win
The two winners can expect the following:
- Your own website designed by the agency VAN VON
- Two career-coaching sessions on career development, artistic profile and social media over the course of one year, taking place in Berlin, directed by VAN. This includes the travel to Berlin, including two nights in a three star hotel per session.
- The production of your personal video trailer, directed by VAN
- A financial workshop with recommendations on how to prepare for self-employment, save for rainy days, make small investments and plan for retirement by Julius Baer. The date and venue will be fixed based on your residence.
- A long-weekend as a visiting student of the Verbier Festival Academy in July or August 2021. This includes the travel to Verbier, accommodation for three nights at an apartment or three star hotel, a ticket to a Verbier Festival concert (subject to availability), attendance at an Academy masterclass and a coaching session with a member of the Academy faculty.
- A performance opportunity offered by Andermatt Music during the 2021/2022 season: an invitation to perform one concert in Andermatt, in the newly-built Andermatt Concert Hall. Dates to be arranged by late 2020, subject to each winner’s availability.
The six finalists can expect the following:
- A professional photo shooting with professional photographers after the finals in Berlin on 19/20 October 2020.
- A brief video profile produced by the Elbphilharmonie and VAN Magazine.
One finalist will be selected:
- To record a CD with Outhere Music, the prestigious label group with some of the most successful independent labels, renowned for their high-quality recordings and a focus on close cooperation with their artists.
Please note that no cash will be paid out at any time.
Who is eligible to apply
The international competition is open to musicians of any nationality born in or before 2002 who are currently studying at the university level, or have graduated, in any subject, between 2015 and 2019.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept any singers, conductors or ensembles for the first edition of the Berlin Prize for Young Artists.
Please hand in the following
- A written concert programme with a length of roughly 45 minutes (composer and work title). There are absolutely no restrictions regarding style, period, etc. of the works, or on the number of works.
- A brief statement (max. 500 words) on why you chose this programme.
- A video recording of yourself performing one work from your suggested programme.
- A brief Curriculum Vitae.
Dare to surprise us and upload your application here. The latest deadline for applying is 15 June 2020 (midnight, Central European Time).